Monday, August 20, 2012

Rainbow Cupcakes!!

I read in a Betty Crocker's Best Recipes magazine about these "Tie-Dye Cupcakes" with this beautiful rainbow icing.  I read the instructions for the icing, but it sounded a little confusing, so I looked up a video that was VERY helpful and it is this one here


No, this isn't ice cream.  It's ice-ING!  Two can's worth.  Mmmm.  I think I'll just stop here and eat it.  End of post.

...Just kidding! So you separate two can's worth into three bowls and then dye them red, yellow and blue.


Mike said it looked like the food the lost boys eat in Hook.

So you get out your pastry bag and your #6 star tip (I had to go out and buy them) and turn the bag inside-out to start piling on the icing.


First you spoon on one color.  Then another on top.  Then another.  Not too bad!  Then you start squeezing it out on a plate or wherever until you see the first color mixing with the second.  Then put it on your cupcake!  I made funfetti cupcakes the night before.  That's an easy rainbow cupcake to make!  The Betty Crocker recipe called for tie-dyed cupcakes (different colored batter all piled onto each other) but I was much more interested in the frosting!


That was my first.  How PRETTY!  I absolutely loved doing these.


Just keep going till you run out.  I ran out after exactly 12 cupcakes.  I had more icing but the bag was getting heavy and I didn't know how much I should have started out with.  This is what the bag looked like when I'd squeezed it all out:


Oooh!  Starting to get a little brown.  But otherwise it looks like I'm working on a tie-dye shirt!



I used Disney Princess liners OF COURSE!  They were going-away cupcakes for my friend Monica who just left for college.  We have this common bond over Disney Princesses.  Of course my favorite, Ariel, wasn't even represented ON the wrappers...


 Hooray!  Well, there might not be an Ariel, but here's an aerial view! (ha ha)

 
This was my first time using a pastry bag and I LOVED it!  It was so easy and they look so cool.  I would definitely make these again!




No comments:

Post a Comment